Wednesday, July 22, 2009

500

So this is my 500th post. Wow... that's a lot of talking.

Is anyone shocked at that? Yeah, I didn't think so.

I wasn't sure what I was going to do for this post. Maybe think of something fun and cool... maybe something boring and regular... maybe stop blogging all together.

Settle down... I am just kidding.

Anyway, in keeping with God and His awesomeness... He provided me an excellent 500th post.

No, I am not pregnant.

Adam has accepted a job at a law firm here in Hagerstown!

He wasn't really looking to leave his current firm... in fact if you remember, he was looking for space here so he could work from Hagerstown a couple days a week. There were a few places that looked promising but nothing was ever settled on. After a candid conversation with his boss, Adam learned of a vacancy at the State's Attorney's office and decided to look into the job. Suddenly the idea of leaving his firm didn't seem so scary or out of the realm of possibility. All that to say that God was just priming Adam to be ready for the real opportunity.

2 weeks ago today, a partner at a well respected firm in Hagerstown was appointed to be a judge... which meant a vacancy in her law firm. Being up on Hagerstown knowledge, Adam knew that this firm had recently lost another attorney (moved up and on). Adam decided it couldn't hurt to contact the firm and see if they were interested in bringing someone new on. He emailed one of the partners (coincidentally the same man he spoke with about renting space just a month or so prior) and within 24 hours he was meeting with the partners. They were very impressed with Adam's work (he does have a lot of courtroom time considering how young he is) and said they would get back with him on Monday (this was Thursday). Oh in this meeting Adam learned an associate was leaving the firm as well... so from 5 lawyers to 2 within a few months.

All weekend we were on pins and needles. We really tried to come at it with the idea that if this didn't come through, it wasn't meant to be. It just meant something bigger was on the horizon. Even so, it was stressful waiting to see what direction our lives were going to take.

Monday came and went.

Oddly enough we were rather calm about it... which for those of you that know me, you know that isn't typical.

Tuesday came and... almost went. After 5 on his drive home, he got a call from the partner (the one that he originally emailed). He apologized profusely for not calling on Monday... they had gotten busy, ect. He wanted to meet with Adam the following day...

Rarely do people bring you back in just to tell you they are going in another direction... so we were hopeful.

On Wednesday Adam was offered the position.

On Thursday Adam officially accepted the job (with his boss' blessing... another bonus!)

Right now he is transitioning between the 2 firms... some cases will stay with the old firm, some will go with Adam to the new firm and some will remain a joint venture between Adam and the boss.

Adam's new office is downtown Hagerstown which means after story time at the library, Chase and I can walk over and see Daddy at his office! Maybe we'll even pack lunches and picnic!

On one hand I am very sad to see Adam leave his old firm... it is filled with extremely loving and caring people... a few of whom I plan on staying in close contact with! The old firm has given him so much... not just a job but confidence and experience. He has grown so much while he was there... in ways that he wouldn't have gotten working anywhere else, for anyone else. For that I will forever be grateful.

On the other hand... no more 1.5 to 2 hour commute. No more I-70. No more every other day fuel fill up. No more fear that if something happens, Adam is so far away. No more getting up at 5 (him not me ;~) and not getting home until 6. Just those things alone are worth the switch.

Sometimes God's plan amazes me.

About 6 weeks ago I was pulling out of our driveway and I got so discouraged. Here we are still renting... still so transient. We have no down payment... and how are we ever going to get one. We are never going to be able to own our own home. We'll never have a swing set in the backyard. I won't ever be able to truly decorate. Man this sucks. I swear, I spiraled that fast. I went from discouraged to the world was ending from reverse to drive. Then I just stopped and thought back to our life. I never saw the plan for our life before it was laid out in front of us. There have been so many instances where we thought 'impossible, this can never happen'... only to be greeted with a twist that made it so. Some things fell in our lap and some things we have worked hard for. I will be the first to admit, some of the twists come at a high price but that is life... and I just have to accept that.

As I sat in my car that day, I told myself I would not think like that anymore. I have no idea what God's plan for us is.... all I can do is live my life to the best of my ability and keep my eyes open. I drove forward and left the crap thinking behind me.

And here we are today. Totally blown away by God. If our friend had been appointed 3 weeks earlier, it wouldn't have even occurred to Adam to send that email. If it happened a week later, who's to say he wouldn't have been committed to another position somewhere else. It literally could not have happened at a better time.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went back to some of your old postings before. Those are from when you didn't had Chase yet! I couldn't read them all, but I love the fact you kept this blog so long. It is a path of you and your family life. How precious.

I am glad to hear that Adam got a new job! It is always stressful and/or emotional when things are in transition. But you always seem to manage it so well.

Mary said...

AMEN SISTER! For we know not the plans the Lord has for us!

I am so excited for you guys!!

emily ebeling said...

happy 500th post- and a HUGE congratulations to Adam and your whole family- I pray that this really blesses your life in all the ways you are hoping- it sounds perfect!!!
can I hear a woot?

WOOT!

Oh, and as Mary said..
Amen.
:)
~Em

Michelle said...

How exciting!! I am so happy that your family will be able to spend more time together...long commutes stink. And just think of all of the money that you can put into your savings account just by cutting down on your gas bill. You'll have a down payment before you know it!!!

kathi said...

Well, I'm crying. Yup, when I got to the part about not seeing how things were made a way for until it all fell together, darlin', that's my whole life. That's HOW we learn to trust, but going through this time and time again. EACH time still amazing. God is so awesome, so faithful it just blows me away.
What a great blessing this is. I'm so happy for you all and I'm so THANKFUL to our Father. Again, what an AWESOME God He is!

Oh, and happy 500th. I have no idea how many I've done. Way too many, I'm sure. :)

Vintage Ruby said...

sister, that is me completely! trying to have a good attitude knowing full well that God's plans aren't contingent on the economy or any of our circumstances, but it's so easy to get discouraged. danny was layed off on Christmas eve and i didn't expect it to take so long for him to find something new, but reading your post was encouraging. so happy for you guys!

Vicki said...

Wahoo! That's great news. I am uber-happy for you guys! Hugs & congrats to both!

Carrie and Scott said...

this is such awesome news! I'm so happy for you!

Caleb and Adrienne said...

Holy Crap! How did I miss this post? Congrats! What an amazing testimony as to how God truly has a plan outside of our realm of control! Love the shout out about God's timing. I am SO happy for you and your fam!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you guys! This is Wonderful news! You never know what's just around the corner!!

Love, Nan :)

karen jester said...

Well one thing is for sure, I cannot be away from the office for 10 days. God is an awesome God and places events and people in your live for a reason. With an ache in my heart and a tear in my eye I will forever be grateful that he planned for me to have the Greivell family cross my path in life. I am so happy for all of you.