Friday, May 29, 2009

For Em

This is mainly for Em who asked me for the recipe so long ago I am actually embarrassed... sorry! However, to all my other devoted followers... feel free to steal it as well... after all, I stole it from Prevention magazine. Hardly a steal if they publish it though...

Anyway, here goes the new favorite at our house:

Pesto Chicken Bake
  • package of chicken - they said bone in but I prefer chicken breast
  • container of grape/cherry tomatoes
  • 2-3 red potatoes (about the size of your fist)
  • 2 tsp. olive oil (I use EVOO... is there any other kind?)
  • 2 Tbsp. water
  • they call for salt and pepper but I used neither and was perfectly happy
  • 1/2 cup of pesto sauce (I use Classico)
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place chicken in baking dish along with tomatoes and potatoes. Drizzle olive oil over the top. Spread half the jar of pesto sauce over the top of the meat and veggies. *Beginners mistake... do NOT spoon out the sauce and then rub it in to the raw meat... then decide to get just a little more out of the jar. I quickly realized I had contaminated the jar so I used as much as I thought I could and had to call the rest a loss. Normally I would use half and store/ freeze the other half for next time.* Then add the water. Place in the oven and bake for 45 - 50 minutes. Scrumptious!

If you are feeling extremely adventurous, you could make your own pesto... ahem, Ali.

Also, bonus recipe (who am I and when did recipes become a topic of conversation... *sigh*)

Tuna Casserole
  • 5 oz. can of tuna
  • can of cream of mushroom
  • 8.5 oz. can of peas
  • 7 oz. can of sliced button mushrooms
  • Kraft macaroni and cheese (yes, the box)
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 4 Tbsp. butter
  • bread crumbs
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Boil water and get the noodles from the Kraft box cooking. While that is happening, mix the tuna (drained) with the cream of mushroom soup in the backing dish you plan to cook in. I have the Corningware one with the glass lid... love them! Once the noodles are cooked, drain and add to the cream of mushroom/tuna mixture. Add the milk, butter and Kraft cheese packet and stir together. Once that is thoroughly mixed, fold in the peas (drained) and mushrooms (drained), as not to mash them. Once mixed, even out the top and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Put 3-4 thin pads of butter on the top (I have no idea what this does but I cannot make this without doing it ;~). Bake for 30 - 35 minutes. Love it!

Hope you enjoyed and if not... it's Prevention and my mom's fault.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad I had dinner already tonight but I want to try them now! It sounds yummy and simple to make. Thank you for sharing!

asuthrngrl said...

The butter helps the bread crumbs brown and adds flavor. Sorry. Just had to tell you. LOVE YA!!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

The chicken pesto sounds great. I'm going to have to try it!

emily ebeling said...

SWEET!!! you're awesome- thanks!!

Mandy said...

We're so having both of those for dinner next week. Thanks for posting them