Tuesday, February 28, 2006

So it's official

Adam and I are cable free. I turned in the box yesterday and supposedly someone came out to turn our cable off (haven't checked if that really happened or not).

Before you applaud us too much... we did keep the internet connection and we do have TiVo... which means we can record (with state of the art equipment) the 5 broadcast channels that we get! It's slightly comical but it works for us!

Cable was just really pointless for us. Adam and I are more broadcast channel people anyway... we like Boston Legal (him more than me ;~), Scrubs, The Office and Extreme Makeover: Home Edition... all broadcast shows...

I discovered last night that fewer channels makes it easier for me to turn the TV off and do something productive... like laundry, maintaining our finances, or reading a good book (In Her Shoes, thanks Carrie, I am half way through!!!!)

Go figure... less channels to choose from and the option of turning the TV off seems more appealing. Who knew someone could live this way... let alone me!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Sister! Ali and I have basic cable (cause you can't get ESPN on the networks yet). Other than that, we are technology free! We don't even have a computer at the house... Seems almost medieval.

TortfeasorG said...

Well, I have to say that so far, I don't even notice a difference. We are paying 60 bucks less per month... Seriously...who has enough time to watch 60 bucks worth of shows?

Our setup is very odd... three computers (two of them laptops), wireless cable-internet, we can stream our music wirelessly to our surround-sound system... and now we can stream our music and digital pictures wirelessly to our TiVo box... all this and we are receiving a broadcast signal over our $20 rabbit ears!

good times!

Eric Kronthal said...

i'm jealous. unfortunately, without at least eight 24-hour news channels, i might not have anything on the TV to scream at in disbelief.

LoveLladro said...

Craig... the no computer in the house still confuses me... i love my mactop ;~)

Adam... good point about the $60 bucks worth of shows... besides an extra $60 bucks a month could be translated into a new pair of shoes for me each month... yeah, i like that idea ;~)

Eric... you would be surprised what is still there to scream in disbelief at ;~) besides the world seems a little nicer without the 24/7 news access and yes, I prefer to be naive ;~) keeps me young!

TortfeasorG said...

that's a good point...

TortfeasorG said...

the being naive thing, not the shoes thing