Friday, February 03, 2006

My near miss heart attack...

Adam and his integrity... I love my husband dearly but his integrity could kill me. If you refer to "God is Working" for the beginning part of the story, this will all make sense.

Adam was feeling very conflicted about cutting out the agency when it came to going back to work for Johns Hopkins. The agency had been very nice to us... getting us $$ because a paycheck was lost in the mail ("nice" as in $$ from someone's personal account) because we weren't going to make rent. Very nice people.

So he spoke with JH and posed the question... should he tell the agency he was going back to work for them? What about contracts signed (between JH and the agency)? Derek thought it a valid point... He will check it out.

They get off the phone and Adam is nervous... did he just wave goodbye to $XX per hour? Scary thoughts (scary thoughts of the wife too). Praying, sweating, happy the conscience is clear, sweating, praying, happy... I would imagine this was Adam until he heard from Derek again...

Turns out there is a clause about paying the agency a percentage of the employee's first year salary instead of being cut in for the hourly rate. Adam suggests that what about JH still pay Adam the $XX per hour and take the time Adam will be there times the percentage and give that to the agency...??? JH likes the idea and says do you think the agency will go for it? Adam quickly interjects... let me talk to them... I have a good relationship with them... I think they will go for it.

Adam quickly calls the agency and talks to his contact... she is more than willing to work out that deal. She is pleased with his honesty and forthcomingness. She knows most people wouldn't put it on the line like that.

She is absolutely correct... my husband is a gem.

Here are a few of the good things about this entire situation

1. Adam holds his head high and doesn't have to slink away from anyone, not the agency or JH
2. Adam is still earning the coveted $XX per hour which will benefit him and his lovely wife.
3. Adam gets to go back to a job he really enjoyed (it is a paralegal position so for everyone that suggests he stay there... not a good long term career move... short term/temping... fine, long term... no)
4. Adam didn't burn any bridges... if he needs to, he can go back to the agency when JH is done and get another assignment... no feeling guilty.
5. Adam learned that he is worth $XX per hour and how valuable and special he is (not just to his wife).
6. Jessica learned that her husband is very unique and special. She should take a lesson at the amount of honesty he displays... even when it doesn't turn out hunky-dory like this... it is still always worth it and it won't EVER kill me.

I love you Adam.

And for all of you that think I am sappy... you're just jealous ;~)

4 comments:

TortfeasorG said...

I got all integrified...I actually feel like I just kind of dumb-lucked into it, really. I guess God is in charge.

The Townleys said...

Dude....sweet....:-) God Is The Man

The Townleys said...

dude, did you see my web page! Scout's movie loaded! IT ROCKS- THANKS!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess-

Good story, and thanks for the link. Now I know why you wanted Winnie's email address.

Dad