Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Today is a happy day for me...

I am off work for the next 6 days. You can't even imagine how happy this makes me!!!

Adam and I have some loose plans throughout the holiday weekend but for the most part... it's all about what we want to do! For the actual turkey day, my dad has gone to visit his family in NY, Adam's mom and stepdad are off on her brother's yacht somewhere between here and FL (rough life, I know!) and Thanksgiving at Adam's stepmother's was cancelled (well at least for this part of the family... which makes me pretty darn happy too!) So Adam and I are going to meet his dad for a Thanksgiving brunch somewhere and then head over to the Poulos' (friends from bible study) and have dinner with them.

As for the rest of the holiday weekend... what I want to do most of all... is go through my mom's clothes. I saved almost every last piece of her clothes and it is currently in plastic bins stashed around my house. For those that don't know... my mom had a LOT of clothes so there are a lot of plastic bins! Also, one of the things that we loved to do together is shop so a good portion of these clothes, I was with her when she bought... not to mention the memories I have of her in some of the outfits. I have been asked several times, why don't I wear them... she was 5'4" and a size 0 or 2 petite... ain't no way folks. No way my amazon self is fitting into those bad boys! I am also asked why I don't give the away... while in theory this sounds like a good idea, there is no way I could. I have too many memories of her clothes and I couldn't bear the thought of someone else having them. As I carted her clothes around from apartment to apartment I came up with the perfect plan for me. Make a patchwork quilt from her clothes. Then I can keep it with me always... my plan is to also make quilts for my children so they have a piece of their grandmother as well.

Anyway, I thought about this alot (for almost 2 years now) but never acted on it... I needed the time to be right... I mean we are talking about cutting up her clothes... that is going to take some willpower to do... not only that but just going through them in the first place. Oh it will be tough! But I think I am ready. It's been 2 years and I think that I have healed a lot... don't get me wrong. I would die on Friday if it meant that I got to spend Thursday with her but I know that I can't make those deals so I say that I am healed ;~) Back to the timing... I was waiting until the time was right...

Enter Suzi... I saw a long time friend of mine at church this past Sunday and somehow or another we ended up talking about my idea. Low and behold, she makes patchwork quilts... seriously, I had no idea! We talked for a little while longer and she really wants to help me with this project which just happens to be fantastic because I need lots of help with this project! We have a plan to meet in the beginning of Dec to chat and get the materials together so my plan is to get started now! And it just so happens that I have the next 6 days off to do it... and that folks is how I tie a story together ;~)

Peace out and sorry it's been so long... I will try not to let that happen again ;~)

4 comments:

kathi said...

Sounds like a plan, and not just yours. :) Glad it's all coming together for you!

Johnnie Avocado said...

That's sound great. I really like the idea. That's very nice of Suzi to help.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Go for it.

KMAN said...

That sounds like a really good idea especially the part about making them for your future kids to have a part of their grandmother.